Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Rest of the Story...

This morning, I just finished reading through the Bible for the year and will start back in Genesis tomorrow. I have been doing this (reading the Bible through 2x each year) for the past 20+ years as a part of my devotional life. It has been a great discipline to have and I always learn something new each time through. As I finished up the book of Revelation today, I had a few thoughts come up that I would like to share...

1. We know the end of the story. In the midst of all that was going on in Revelation - the trials, persecution, judgments, etc. - there is a profound sense building of peace that we know the final outcome. Jesus will conquer, sin and death will be vanquished, and He will establish his new heave and earth to be inhabited by His chosen. It's kind of like watching a sporting event that has been previously taped and you know the outcome. You still have moments of anxiousness. You still doubt at times that the home team is going to win. But deep down inside, you know. You know the end of the story!

2. The enemy is working overtime. Revelation 12:12 says that, "...the Devil has come down to you with great fury, because he knows he has a short time." Satan is furious. He knows the end of the story as well. He doesn't want to believe it, but in truth, He cannot escape it. He is furious with Himself. He is furious in action against God's elect, the church. He is doing all he can to delay the time. But in the end, guess what? He's a defeated, fallen angel whose course has already been set. It is a course of utter defeat.

3. Jesus is coming back. This is not fiction. This is not wishful thinking. This is not a fairy tale. This is God's honest and promised truth - Jesus is coming back! He will come to judge and make war in righteousness. He will wear a robe stained with blood, His blood, and He will be recognized as the Living Word of God. He will strike the nations with a sharp sword but He will also shepherd them with an iron (unbending) scepter. And the name written on His thigh will proclaim who He is: King of Kings, Lord of Lords!

So, I don't know about you, but I take encouragement in knowing that the battle belongs to the Lord. In the midst of all the crazy things this world has to offer and the crazy things my country/culture decides to pursue, I know the end of the story: Jesus is coming and God is the final Victor!

I simply close by agreeing with John the Revelator when he says...

"Come, Lord Jesus..."

To which I hear Christ echo...

"Yes, I am coming quickly!" 

Selah..

No comments:

Post a Comment