Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Jayne's Story...

A couple of weeks ago I had the privilege along with several of my BGR teammates to visit some homes in the slum areas of Nairobi, Kenya. We were visiting homes of HIV patients and delivering BGR "hospice" buckets.

We visited one home where a fairly young lady lay wasting away due to full blown AIDS. Her elderly mother was caring for her and her two school-aged children. She barely had enough strength to sit up as we came into her home but greeted us with a weak smile. Her smile became even stronger and she even chuckled a bit with joy as one of our BGR team members began opening the bucket and showing her the things that were inside that could help with some of the problems that she was experiencing. The contents of the bucket couldn't change the fact that she was dying but it could give some hope and dignity to her as she struggled with her last days on earth.


Her name is Jayne. And her story if not uncommon. In fact, it is too common. Over 35 million people are living with HIV and to date, about that same number have died from AIDS.

It was obvious her life on earth was not going to be much longer. So as we shared the hospice kit with Jayne and her family, one of our team members asked her if she knew who Jesus was. That was when Jayne really smiled. She had smiled slightly when we came into her home. She smiled a bit more when she saw the bucket filled with hope, but when she heard the Name of her Savior, she literally beamed.

Jayne said, "I want to live to see my children grow up. But I am weak. I am weak but Jesus gives me strength."

We went to that place to minister to Jayne and her family. We came away feeling that we were the recipients of God's blessings.

I don't usually do this in my blog, but I would like to give you a challenge. If you are interested in helping people in need like Jayne, I encourage you to visit our BGR website. You will find more stories about people like Jayne who are in need and are being helped through our efforts at BGR. And you will find opportunities of ways you can help as well.

The weblink is…

www.gobgr.org


No comments:

Post a Comment